Wednesday 6 December 2006

This post is brought to you by the letter 'D'

Do You Know Squarepusher? - Squarepusher
Dog On Wheels (EP) - Belle & Sebastian
Doolittle - Pixies
Dragonwyck - Dragonwyck
Dub Housing - Pere Ubu
Duello - Unicode

It's a bit twee, I know, but bear with me - things that make me happy:
  • Glayva - it's getting mighty cold round these parts and nothing puts a heat in you quite as pleasantly as Glayva. I'm not getting paid for this, I'm just drinking it as I write this post and it's taking the edge of what is a bitterly cold night.
  • Seeing vain people in Tokyo make utter arses of themselves - I was walking through Shinjuku tonight when some posing bint in sunglasses, big boots, a pout, and a strut that would put Liam Gallagher to shame, went arse over tit because she couldn't handle the ten inch spike heels on the boots that she'd chosen to wear. Her boyfriend, some gormless git in a cheap looking expensive suit and more Louis Vuitton than should really be seen on a man, was affronted and proceeded to give her a bollocking on the street. If only my mobile battery hadn't have been dead at the time; I may have had my first posting on YouTube.
  • The letter 'D'
I seem to remember reading something, either an interview with or an article written by Brett Anderson in which he claimed that the seventh track on any album is always the best one. I've spent the last ten minutes Googling variations on this theme but with no success. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about please post a comment and a link if possible. In a similar vein, my experience with the letter 'D' (at least as far as my iPod is concerned) has lead me to believe that it's somehow imbued with some kind of mystical significance. Just look at the evidence over the last few posts. Hell, even an album of early Seventies psychedelia that sounds like it was dreamed up solely for the Almost Famous soundtrack can't sully the power of the magical 'D'. I can't remember who pointed me in the direction of Dragonwyck, but it's well worth further investigation.

I've been looking for a link for Unicode, but I haven't been able to find anything (not doing to well on the Google front tonight). They (I think they're a 'they' anyway) are an experimental band from Italy. I saw Mattia Coletti (who may or may not be a member of the band) in Tokyo earlier this year and he was like nothing I've ever seen before. If you're looking for an escape from skinny ties and New Wave wannabes this is a fair distance from all of that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get on with it

Dave