Thursday 21 December 2006

I'm off

First Impressions of Earth - The Strokes
Five Leaves Left - Nick Drake

This is my final post this year as the iPod Challenge is off on holiday for a couple of weeks. I'm taking my iPod with me but I won't be posting and I'll be listening to whatever the hell I goddamn feel like. I've also been given one of the new iPod Shuffles for Christmas (hence the lack of 'challenge' over the last couple of days) and that's going too. I had my doubts about the Shuffle but I've come to realise it's like listening to the best radio station ever - i.e the one where you're the controller, the playlist compiler, the DJ, and the listener. Nary a duff track in sight, which is more than can be said for The Strokes recent outing. There's still flashes of brilliance but the piss-poor Iggy rip-off of Heart In A Cage is certainly not one of them. I still think there's hope for them yet, but they were always going to struggle after the hype that surrounded them at first, and the level they set themselves with Is This It?

Nick Drake is Nick Drake - what else can I say? Actually, I have a theory about Nick Drake but now is not the time to go into it. I have more of his albums on the iPod so I can expound at a later date (that'll bring you back, won't it?).

OK, to paraphrase, I'm tired and I want to go to bed. Happy Christmas your arse, all the best, I'm offski.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's happening with the iPod challenge?

December 21 is your last entry. I'm hoping you're on Who's Next by now.

Anonymous said...

What's happening with the iPod challenge?

December 21 is your last entry. I'm hoping you're on Who's Next by now.

GSJ said...

Ah, so you noticed? There are a few reasons why I haven't written anything since I came back - here they are in no particular order:

1) I've been looking for a job since I came back and have spent most of my days off either applying for them or jumping through hoops at the places that actually deign to give you an interview.

2) My head has been turned by the sylph-like iPod Shuffle that I was given for Christmas. My big iPod is one of the 3rd generation ones. It seemed tiny when I got it (certainly in comparison to the MD player I'd been using) but it now seems a tad bulky. This means I haven't been listening to it as much as before so I haven't been getting through the albums.

3) I'm highly susceptible to bouts of extreme laziness.

I've got nothing on this weekend and I was planning to use it to get all the blogs back up to speed, and probably make some changes to what I'm doing on them. Don't give up on me yet.