Wednesday 7 February 2007

Damn Achilles' Heel

Flux Trax - Various Artists

As with almost every plan that I ever come up with there is a substantial flaw in the one I outlined in my last post. Listening to the albums at home is all good and well but what's going to happen to all the random moments of perfect synchronicity and utter incongruity? Listening to the albums at home means that never again will I have Metallica blasting their way through the mental cobwebs as I sit jammed into the corner of a packed morning train. Likewise, it means that never again will I sit through the somnolent strummings of Mazzy Star as I head home on a Friday night, hatching plans for the weekend's bacchanalia.

Flux Trax is a perfect case in point. I'm with the bloke on the discogs website who says this is one of the best compilations ever. Look at the track listing and tell me, how you can possibly go wrong with it? I bought this album twelve years ago and it still sounds remarkable today, even without drugs. It would have been an ideal Monday morning soundtrack - "16 classic techno cuts" (according to the blurb) jack-hammering my skull into submission as I try not to inhale the Satanically rancid breath of the salaryman sitting next to me. Instead I listened to it as I sat whiling away a Sunday afternoon at home. This blog is barely justified in the first place, but that's just taking the piss. It looks like I'm going to have to work out some kind of shift system. Is this what it's like when you have two children? You have to try and balance your time between the older and younger ones? Fuck that for a lark.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

none of this sounds very pleasant.